- Transfusion is part of the treatment plan of many children and adolescents.
- Pediatric licensed care providers should have a basic understanding of different components, including storage conditions, indications and contraindications, and procedures for administration.
- The rationale and indications for product modifications are necessary to provide appropriate blood and blood components.
- Immunohematological testing is critically important in providing appropriate blood and blood components for children.
- The decision to transfuse should involve careful consideration of the risks versus benefits.
Pediatr Clin N Am 60 (2013) 1541–1568